Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 Year in Review

I have come to find that the year in review is a ton of fun to write. I get to look back on my year and realize how much I have grown and what I have had to overcome. Sometimes what seemed to be the biggest obstacle was only a little thing and those little things turned out to be big turning points. Here it goes:

January:
Started the year as a married woman trying to get use to being called Mrs./Sis. Page.
Basketball season started and the girls were ecstatic. We lost all of the games but had a blast.
Started feeling a scratchy throat which ended up being a major throat infection that abscessed and mono.

February:
Still fighting the mono.
Leland went out of town for a conference for the first time in our short married lives and missed out first Valentine's together. Can't give him any grief about that one since I said he should go to the conference.
Mom came to visit to make sure someone was there as I was still ill. She was mostly there to make sure I took my meds, gross.
Basketball girls won their first basketball game, then lost in the play-offs. But a season of learning was capped off with an awesome banana split party.

March:
My birthday! I turned 28, one more year closer to 30, ouch!
Mono starting to go away, but still really tired after work and everything else.
Spring break at home relaxing and stuff
Soccer season started. Again, lost most games.

April:
Soccer still losing but getting better each game.
Had our first win. It was awesome!

May:
Soccer played in the 3rd/4th place game and lost, but it was another great season. We ended this one with a movie and food afternoon. We really improved and had a great time.
Schoooooooool's out for summer!

June:
Leland and I went on our first real vacation together to Orlando, FL. We went to Disney Epcot and Universal Studios. I realize how much of a goof my husband really is, but loved every minute of it. Also saw family in Tampa, FL. Del and Edna Coll. They are lovely people. Took Leland to Tarpon Springs, FL for the the BEST Greek food ever at Hella's.
Started getting everything ready for Girl's Camp and re-discovered Hobby Lobby. Man, I love that place!

July:
Girl's Camp! It was a blast. It rained most of the week, but that's okay because there was still lots of activities to do and fun to be had. It was also made very clear that I am not creative at all after seeing all the other ward's tables centerpieces.
Leland reffed the state 6 vs. 6 football tournament in College Station. He loved every minute of it.
Went to Utah for the first time in my life. What an experience.
Met the rest of my in-laws. They are a fun and interesting group of people. I love them.
July 4th went to watch the fireworks at Fiesta Texas, but was disappointed when a firework misfired and set off the rest of the show early. I may have been disappointed, but it was pretty funny.
Leland's grant proposal passed! He also turned 30, he's an old man now.
Called to be the 2nd Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency.
Water line to the ice maker in freezer busted flooding the whole apartment.

August:
Promotion to Dean of Discipline. Finally, but it means no more coaching and way more work.
School started back up, yeah!
Leland started teaching seminary and a radiation therapy class at Texas State.
Football season officially began. Which meant Leland was gone quite a bit during the week and weekends.

September:
Leland passed the first part of his board exam!

October:
Halloween! We were minions from Despicable Me. We won a 32 in LCD TV!
Football season is almost over and I am about get my husband back =0)

November:
Football season ends, play-offs begin. Leland is upset every time he doesn't get a play-off assignment.
Thanksgiving with my familia in the EP! The day in which we stuff ourselves then sleep. Greatest day ever! (almost)
I didn't run in the Turkey Trot this year. Due to all out exhaustion and illness I decided that running would not be very helpful.

December:
I got sick and puked for the first time from an illness since the third grade. Can we say disgusting?
Leland informed me that his parents are getting divorced. I have a few words to say about that, but I will keep all comments to myself as I do not want to look like the fool in the situation. Let's just say I am not happy with my father-in-law right now.
Alamo Bowl season. Leland brought me along as we greeted the University of Arizona football team, chilled in the hospitality room with Oklahoma States alumni and coaches, and went almost crazy in the players and kids hospitality room. It was a lot of fun. Would I do it again? You betcha!
December 25, Christmas. Relaxed at home and started new traditions with Leland. Christmas Eve was my family's tradition of tamales and yummy dip and crackers. Christmas breakfast was Leland's family tradition of German pancakes, delish! Then dinner with the Carltons.
December 29, only the single greatest day of my life. Leland and I celebrated our 1st anniversary as man and wife. We went to the temple and did a session then went home and relaxed before dinner at Jasmin Thai (my choice) and the Alamo Bowl. OSU won 36-10. It was sweet! I may be an OU fan, but I will root for the Oklahoma teams over the Arizona teams every time.
As an anniversary gift Leland gave me the Biggest Loser Cookbook which I have been wanting for the longest time. Poor guy has to travel allover the city to find it. I gave Leland his favorite box of football cards. He had said earlier in the month that he was not going to buy and cards in the month of December. That's when I knew exactly what I was getting him for our anniversary. He was elated. I love doing things that make him happy. It's fun watching him go into little boy mode with excitement.
New Year's Eve was spent getting the rest of my anniversary gift (a new wedding band since my $13 one is all beat up and lost its white gold covering) and relaxing at home until the clock struck 12. Ed also called. He was only a little drunk at that time.

All in all 2010 was an eventful year. I am excitedly looking forward to what will come in 2011. I have learned a few things this past year that I didn't think I would learn. I learned that 2 people + small space = no bueno. Always turn off the water running to your fridge before leaving for any extended amount of time. Always take the time to tell the ones you love that you love them. No matter how many times you say it it doesn't get boring if you really do feel that way. Drink lots and lots of water every single day. It's true, you can't pick your family but you can choose how you treat them and what you feel about them. Always, always, smile and remember exactly who you are.

1 comment:

Gladiz said...

Very well said. Happy Anniversary and here's to a great new year! Hugs from AZ!