Saturday, January 28, 2012

Year in Review

2011 is gone and it is now 2012! Let's take a look as to what happened in 2011 (or at least try to remember)

January: Leland went to the SPIE conference in San Fransisco to present his research and entered a drawing for an Apple iTouch.

February: Went to plenty of Rodeo events and concerts. Just the break I needed for the middle of the month. Leland received notice that he had won the drawing for the free iTouch. SA closed down for a day of sleeted snow.

March (the greatest month ever!): I celebrated my 29th birthday and realized that I only had one more year until I was no longer in my 20's, eek! An amazing surprise happened. Leland was planning on getting me a netbook for my birthday, but when his iTouch arrived he opened the box and it was an iPad. No netbook for me, but I got an iPad that we affectionately call the Prize Pad. Best part, he didn't have to spend a thing on my birthday gift! We also went to Utah for Spring Break and I discovered I never want to fly without Leland again. I also found out that walking around the Phoenix airport with a 20lb backpack on your back for three hours is quite the workout. Six hour layovers are no fun.

April: Mom came to visit for her birthday and Easter. I also started thinking my mono had come back. Trying to get the energy to do anything was ridiculously hard. Started looking for a new apartment to move into in July.

May: Found a new place to live and started packing for a July move. Still no energy. Graduation ceremonies for the 8th graders and Senior class of 2011. First graduation ceremony that I participated in. Ended my first year as an assistant principal.

June: Energy continues to wane and other help issues start popping up. Continue packing and taking several trips to Goodwill to drop off all the junk we have accumulated. Gosh, we have a ton of junk.

July: One of my best friends from college got married and another one had her second baby, a girl. Leland spent 4th of July with his family and surprised his mom with the visit. I spent the 4th with my family. Drought conditions in TX get worse by the day and temperatures continue to rise. We move into out new apartment. I go to the doctor and after three blood tests I find out all my health issues are related to tumors on my parathyroid glands.

August: Meet the new principal and from the start I do not like him or his attitude. Funniest quote of the month, "If you do not have control of your bathrooms, you do not have control of your school". Have surgery to have tumors and parathyroid glands removed. Energy is through the roof! A new school year begins.

September: Still don't like new principal or how he likes to run things. Learn that this year's kids are a total mess and have more behavior issues thane ever. Staff is already counting down the days to Thanksgiving. Worst school year start ever!

October: Didn't dress up for Halloween. We were both way too tired and stayed home from all parties. Leland counts down the days until reffing ends and is sad. Tyson Page (the family dog) entered our lives. It's been craziness ever since, but we love it!

November: Thanksgiving in SA was cancelled due to my dad having back surgery. Leland and I did our first Thanksgiving together. Very nice and cozy. Finally a good relaxing break from all the craziness of work.

December: Things at work are getting more stressful, no support from parents, teachers, or principal. First fight in four years occurs and both parents want to file assault charges. Discipline Committee makes a decision for both kids, both parents appeal the decision. Appeals Committee makes another decision (that I do not agree with and the after hearing the discipline committee decision, appeals does not agree with it either). Principal is MIA and of no help to me. Kids never receive consequences before school lets out for Christmas Break. LELAND DEFENDS HIS DISSERTATION AND IS OFFICIALLY DR. PAGE! Sigh of relief. Job hunt starts, MD Anderson contacts Leland after one of his professors contacts them. Time with family is amazing. Anniversary was fantastic! Alamo Bowl rocked.

All in all, a pretty good year. 2o11 had it's ups and downs, but through it all I grew as a person and my relationship with my husband became closer. I am grateful for all the opportunities I have had to learn, grow, and experience the things I have. I have been so blessed and am grateful for all the Lord has given me. Bring it on 2012!

No comments: