Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day of Fun and Lessons Learned

Today I had the best time at the school parent picnic. I was a little stressed going into it because of all the games that were suppose to be played. Every year I have been in charge of getting games and activities together for the picnics. I always freak out because I don't want people to be bored or not play the games and things like that. Every year the teachers are suppose to help with the games, so this year I made a few suggestions and then let the teacher come up with a few gamesthat they would like to do. I really tried to not stress over things, but I did. It turned out to be really fun. We didn't do near the activities that we had planned, but that's okay. The kids and parent seemed to have fun. The teacher were able to meet more parents and I even was hit with a water bomb (darn Hannah, I will get her back. She won't know when or where, but I will get her back). The best part was the pinata. It was the toughest pinata I have ever seen. An hour later and the thing stil was not broken. The legs were gone but the body would not bust! I couldn't believe it. It we finally let it fall to the ground and one of the kids beat it to oblivion. It was great! I honestly spent a whole day of working hours at the park. I was there at 8am and didn't leave until almost 3pm.
While I was pulling the pinata a kid came up to me wanting to help me with the pulling. The kid's name is Garrett. He is a SPED kid. I don't know if he's someone's brother or just some random kid from another part of the park, but he is the most awesome kid I have met. After the picnic I was talking to a few of the other teachers and they were sharing their experiences with Garrett. The art teacher decided to do a little donation fundraiser so she would be able to get more supplies for her art club. She had a little jar at her face-painting booth for people to donate. Garrett said he wanted to help and wanted to take the jar around. The teacher then said the jar was okay where it was. Garrett then said, "No, I am going to get donations!" Next, he was talking to another kid and telling him to donate. The other kid said he didn't have any money to donate so Garrett took two dollars out of the jar, handed to the kid and said, "Now you have two dollars to donate. Put it in the jar." The jar had $32 at the end on an hour. Priceless. I love it! He was also helping out with the food. He was telling a parent that the beans were too soupy and in order to make it better you ahve to stir it all the time. Then said the beans were still too soupy and said they would be better served in cups then ran, grabbed some cups and starting serving. This kid is going to do great things for a company someday with all his problem solving skills. Garrett is an amazing kid. It goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover.
I got home today and was so excited to watch General Conference but I couldn't keep my eyes open and I ended sleeping through the whole thing. I am grateful that Conference is a two day event so I am not totally corrupted......yet. It has turned into a great day of fun.

No comments: