Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ventilation of Stress

I hope everything works out. These past two weeks have been so stressful that I felt like giving up on everything. I was asked to help with the school soccer team. Who knew I was going to be the "administrator" and having to do all the business stuff. I had ONE WEEK to get the uniforms, find a field that was not being used, and find referees that were free for the weekend. Then three days before the game it has to be rescheduled because the head coach of the other team wasn't going to be able to make it. Here's a suggestion: Instead of rescheduling the game and hoping that everything works out and the field and refs are still available how about sending the assistant coach with the team. Or another good idea, don't schedule games that overlap with another school event, DUH! So, as usual with where I work, there has to be a last minute change in the schedule. Instead of my principal telling the other principal that we play the game on Saturday or they forfiet, he gives in and decides to reschedule. Have some guts to support your staff that has been working day and night and going in for six hours on a day off and getting things set up. How about when you set everything up for a tournament you set up the schedule at the same time instead of allowing six weeks for a team to form then giving one week to find fields, uniforms, and refs during the busiest time in Texas soccer! Get out of your little world where everyone caters to one another and get in the real world where no one cares about you would you? Geez Louise it's irritating! How about the adminstrator do his job and find all the fields and refs and things like that. That's the adminstrators job, no the PE teacher's job. PE and athletics do not mix. Just because I know what I'm doing doesn't mean I do everything. I am trying to prepare for the biggest fitness test my kids will have to go through and I am dealing with stuff that the admins should be dealing with.
Stressor number 2: FitnessGRAM
What legislator got into his head that forcing ALL kids in school to do the FitnessGRAM was a good idea? It's (at the largest schools) six PE teachers testing thousands of students. So since PE teachers have to help with the TAKS does that mean classroom teachers have to help with the FitnessGRAM? Yeah, right! A classroom teacher being forced to help the PE teachers? PE is so beneath the other subjects. What a load of crock that is. I have 338 students to test and get results in by the end of the month. On top of that when did I get the instructions for how to do everything? Two weeks ago, the week before TAKS. On top of that I don't have a computer to download the software. Why do I not have a computer to do that when I said at the beginning of the school year that I needed a working CD/DVD player on my computer? Again, PE is beneath all. This week I have to test all of my students and figure out how to upload information when I don't have the software downloaded yet. If I don't get it all done by the end of the month I will be seen as "non-compliant" with TEA and that goes on my teaching record. The pressure is on. Will I get to skip my classes to get all the information entered like other teachers get when they are bogged down with work? Not at all. I will have to go into work earlier than I usually do and stay much later to get it all done. I won't have any help. Even though my AP told me I would have help, I can't really get any help unless the software is downloaded to the school database and every teacher has access to it. Good luck to me. The next few weeks are going to be absolutely stress filled.
Stressor number 3: Rockwall
I have another interview this week about a coaching job. This time it will be in Rockwall, TX. I am excited, but I am also very nervous. I have to take a day off of work and it is my last day to take before everything starts coming out of my paycheck. If this one doesn't go well, I don't know what else to do. I am grateful I still have a job for next year where I am working, but that isn't going to help me achieve my goals. I don't want to just sit in an office teaching PE all day. I want to be out there coaching. I want to use the knowledge I have, not let it go to waste. I am actually good at what I do and I am tired of not being able to use it. Club ball is not an option for me anymore. I am not appeasing to parents and parents want that out of a club coach, but that's not me. I don't know, I just don't know.
Am I going to feel better after placing this blog up? No, but at least I was able to vent for a little bit and it gave me something to post. I just hope everything turns out as it should. And when I mean should I really mean as I want it to turn out.

No comments: