Monday, December 8, 2008

December 7

So I know it is now December 8 but when I thought about this it was December 7. I am going to write about it anyway. December 7 is known as "the day that will live in infamy forever". On this day in 1941 Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was hit by Japanese airmen. Killing many and sinking some of the most beautiful machinery I have ever seen. The United States of America officially entered World War II after this event. When I was in college I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii to play soccer and visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial. The day we went alot of the girls did not want to go They thought it was not the right thing to do in Hawaii. Like going to a bar or to the beach is okay when you still have a game to play, the whole reason you are there? So many of the girls were not happy about going. Did these girls not understand that if it had not been for that place that we would not be the country we are today and they would not have the opportunities that they have to study in the US (many of the girls were not from the US) and receive a great education and play soccer? Whatever, they can think what they want. While we were there, there were two men who had survived Pearl Harbor and WW II. One man was selling and signing the book he had written about the places and people he met during WW II. The other was one of the characters in the book who, due to age related things, had to have his daughter help him sign the books. All I could do was sit in admiration for their courage and willingness to serve. We then went into a room where they have a video that talks about that day and what to expect when going to the memorial. After the video we hopped on a boat and rode out to the memorial. I wish it had been sunny so I could have seen the ship underneath the memorial, but that's okay because I still got some cool pictures (which will not be posted because I did not have a digital camera at the time. If you want to see pix let me know and I will show them to you the old fashioned way). I honestly thought I would cry while on the memorial, especially after seeing the wall of the names of all those who died. But I didn't. It was a solemn feeling. A feeling of deep gratitude and respect. The oil that still leaks from the ship today (67 yrs later) is a reminder that something actually happened on December 7, 1941. I had the experience of my life. Hopefully I never forget it. I will always have a deep respect for those that serve this great country, especially in times of turmoil and strife. I am grateful for this country and for the freedoms (that have been in jeopardy before) that I have. I will never forget this day and the importance it holds for our country, MY home, the United States of America.

1 comment:

Rebex said...

Two posts in one day...? You're so on the ball!

I hope to someday visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial.