Monday, July 27, 2009

Hodge Podge

Let's see what has happened lately. I moved into my new apartment and I love it! It is so much more comfortable than my last place. I even have enough space to get the matching recliner to my couch. I finally have a complete living room! It looks so much better when it has a completed look to it. It makes me smile every time I walk into the room =0). All I have to do is hang one more picture and I will be completely moved in. I was going to do that on Saturday, but I just didn't have the energy after getting home really late the night before from my indoor game then waking up early to run a 5k and helping at the Pioneer Celebration the West Stake was having and grocery shopping. It was a really full Saturday and I was so happy when I finally went to bed and was able to rest my body. Sleep is good!
Dad still isn't talking to me, but I can handle it. He needs time and I will give him all the time he needs. Mom did tell me that he is having eye surgery on the 27th. He also found out that he has an eye disease that causes him to get cataracts frequently. He will have this one removed on the 27th then hopefully he won't have another one for a while. They did say the disease was a good thing for his right eye. About ten years ago Dad had his first cataract surgery and the surgeon messed up and ended up causing his retina to tear. He had a couple of surgeries to fix that and one of them he had to have a buckle placed around his eye. The doc told him that because of this disease the buckle has adhered beautifully and is very strong around his eye so they do not expect any problems with it. Thats a good. Knowing me, I found humor in all of this. Stay with me, now. You know how people say pets kinda mimic their owners? Well here's the humor. My dad fell in love with this gorgeous German Shepard from Animal Rescue and adopted her. She has some joint problems (hip, knee, etc) and Dad has joint problems (knees, back, etc). Hallie (the dog) had a common big dog skin disorder, Dad was diagnosed with a common skin cancer earlier this year (it was benign and nothing to fear). This is the kicker, pure bred German Shepards will commonly get an eye disease called canine pannis. It's a disease where the eye's immune system and the body's immune system start fighting each other and this cloud (like a cataract) begins to cover the eye, Dad has an eye disease that causes the cataracts to form. Hence, the humor in it all. Some people may not find that funny, but I think it's so funny.
There are things that happen everyday that I think I should blog about, but then I forget about them by time I get a chance to write, darn it!
I love talking with friends. I find out so many interesting things about them and learn so much about what makes them tick and what they really think and feel. I was talking with a friend tonight and we were talking about boys and their stupidity sometimes. The one thing that I think is so important to to understand out of the many things we talked about is that it's all about the small things when it comes to showing people that you care. We were talking about this in the context of dating and relationships, but it goes such a long way even with your friends and strangers you meet everyday. When you remember something someone told you about their week and you ask them about it. Just being able to listen goes such a long way. An offer of help even if the person doesn't use it. A little smile, a glance, a gesture of love and friendship. It's not the big things that really make us happy and really show that people care, it's the small things. Sometimes, though, we miss the small things because we are so focused on the big. Just remember the small things go a long way in showing that you care. Take the time to do the simple things. I know I will definately work harder on that. It's all the small things.

No comments: