Saturday, July 11, 2009

What To Do, What To Do?

So I have a really big decision to make. WHile I was visiting my family in EP I went on an interview for a new job. The day before I already told my self there is no way I was going to get a new job. Well, the next day an opening became available and I received a call about 30 minutes before the end of the day. AS I was sitting in the interview I felt awsome about it. Then I heard what the position was, Math Inclusion Co-Teacher. Co-teaching wouldn't be bad, but the whole math thing just doesn't work. I would screw those kids up even more than what they already are. I got home and less than five minutes after that I received a call saying the job was mone if I wanted it. Now my dad is making plans to move all my stuff this week and I just don't feel comfortable taking the position. It is a position that I know I am not qualified for and I know the only reason I got it was because the principal of my dad's school pushed it so much. If I take this job it means that I will also be coaching soccer. As I have been thinking more and more about it, I don't think I can do it. I don't think I could move back home at this point. I know it will save me tons and tons of money and it would pay about $10,000 more than what I am making now, but going back home living with my family, listening to Mom and Dad fight all the time, leaving an amazing Institute program, going to a ward where it is basically 18 year olds and no social scene just doesn't seem right for me. The problem I am having is tealling my dad. I know he is going to combat what I say with the whole argument, "If you don't take this it's going to be a slap in the face to all the people who worked so hard to get you in there". I have to be honest in my dealing with others. I think people will respect me more if I am honest. If I burn a few bridges it may be something I have to do. Six months ago I was all about leaving to start my coaching career, but the past week I spent at home with my family and doing what I would do every summer, I just didn't have the excitement that should come with getting a new job. I know when I am genuinely excited, but this doesn't excite me. It doesn't excite me to work with my dad. That sounds bad, but all he talks about is his team and what he is going to need to do for the next year. It's every day, almost every conversation. Sometimes I feel like I can't talk to him without his team coming up. I like to seperate my work life and the rest of my life. I tell stories about my students, but that's not the only thing I talk about. The more I weighs the pros and cons the more I realize I can't take the position. This is the hardest decision I have to make. I know have to tell my dad and I know it is going to break his heart and send him into an anger/depression spiral (it really won't, but I know he won't be happy and probably won't talk to me for a few weeks) but I cannot in good conscience take this job. I just hope all invested parties understand where I am coming from.
Yes, I have prayed about it. I actually prayed for confirmation on taking the job, but I didn't get that "you should really take this job" feeling. I have that confusion (that stupor of thought) that is talked about in Doctrine and Covenants Section 9. I am usually pretty sure when it comes to the decisions in my life. When I make the decision I know for sure that it is the best thing for me. This is the first time that I have had that confusion. It's just a little shock to my system. I know what I have to do and just have to buckle down and do it and take the consequences.

2 comments:

Rebex said...

I'm glad you won't be leaving us but sorry you have to tell your dad and possibly disappoint him. You've gotta look out for yourself first and foremost, though. Good luck!

Yangster said...

ahhhh this explains your FB stat on not wanting to hurt peoples feelings. tough tough decision. I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck!