Monday, December 7, 2009

One of My Faves

Last night I was thinking about one of my favorite memories from past Christmases and came across on f my faves. I was about eight years old when my Grandpa Smith came for Christmas. He lived in SA and my family lived in Tulsa so I didn't get to see him much when I was growing up and we rarely spent the holidays together so it was a special Christmas. Well, my Grandpa made the BEST cherry cheesecake I have ever tasted, not even Cheesecake Factory can come close to what Grandpa made. Grandpa and I were up really early on Christmas Eve morning (I guess I have always been a morning person) and he wanted to make the cheesecake for my brother because that was my bros favorite treat. We didn't have the ingredients at home so Grandpa and I went to the store. Since my Grandpa did not have access to any car keys, or a car for that matter, we walked to the store. Grandpa asked me which store we should go to. Since I didn't know there was a store about a half mile from the house in one direction I told him we should go to Price-Mart about a mile and a half from our house. That was the only store I remember so we headed out. There we were and eight-year-old redhead and a 70 year old grandpa with a cowboy hat and boots walking down one of the busiest roads in Tulsa at the time. Thankfully it was still really early so there weren't as many cars on the road. We made it to the store and back without problems and I sat in the kitchen watching as Grandpa made his cheesecake. Great morning! Grandpa got into a little bit of trouble for that one though. Mom and Dad weren't so happy about Grandpa walking me to the store and back. Grandpa is Grandpa and didn't listen to what they had to say. The next morning was Christmas morning and I got a brand new pair of roller skates. These weren't just any roller skates though. These were my very first real pair of skates, white with teal colored wheels. I was ecstatic to get these skates! My school usually had a monthly skate night at the local skating arena and I would always have to rent skates, now I didn't have to rent skates anymore, sweet! I wanted to go out skating that morning so Grandpa took me out again. This time it was to Hick's Park to skate on the tennis courts. Again, out on the busy road, but this time I had on my skates which is a little more dangerous than walking, but I digress. It was a wonderful Christmas that year in 1990, almost 20 years ago (boy time sure does fly!). That, my friends is one of my faves.

1 comment:

Gladiz said...

This is such a sweet memory! Thanks for sharing...I can totally picture you as a little one with those skates on. =)