Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Friends and Memories

I love my friends. They really know how to make me smile and cheer me up when I am having a bad day. They keep me grounded. They remind me of the lighter side of life and give me a swift kick when I need it. They know how to keep me going. I don't think I tell my friends thank you enough. So to all those who know me thank you for all you have done for me. The laughs, the tears, the fun times and even the not-so-fun times. I am truly grateful for all you have done to help me even if I thought I didn't need it.

I have recently been in touch with a childhood friend. I remember meeting her when I was seven years old. We went to church together, played soccer and basketball together and spent several nights at each others houses growing up. Oh, yeah and there was a third best friend that did all that stuff with us, but I have been in touch with her for a while now. The three if us were "sisters" for the longest time. We even called each others parents Mom and Dad (Mom/Dad 1, Mom/Dad 2, Mom/Dad 3) . We made clubs together that consisted of just us three. We got in trouble together and were punished together. I don't know about the other two but I had a blast when I was with them. As I was reading an email from one of these friends all the memories came back to me. Oh the things we did, let me share a few:



Walking from my house at 41st and Mingo to Erin's house at 41st and 129th (I think) . It was something like a 5 mile walk on one of the busiest streets. Oh yeah, we were like 11 yrs old when we did it too.



Eastland Mall: Dippin Dots, A&W, Mr. Bulky's Candy Store, all around shopping.



Soccer and Basketball: Too many memories to recount here and now.



Movies: Adrienne's mom (Mom 2) would take us to QT to get drinks and snacks then hide them in her oversized purse or coat when we got to the theater. Nothing like a little "mission impossible" when going to the movies.



The Barbie House: A house that was Barbie Corvette pink that we always saw on the way to the movies and always made fun of it.



Sleepovers and staying up til 3am laughing about the song, "I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight" (what else would a 10 yr old laugh about at 3am?)



Oldies music: It was always playing at Erin's



The Young and the Melodramtic: We made our own version of a soap opera at Adrienne's on an ancient machine (the cassette tape recorder).



The best oatmeal chocolat chip cookies ever. Made by us with our own hands, literally.



Playing at the creek behind my house.



The LeBaron, The Jetta, The Van (Adrienne sittinng on the TV going to Colorado and falling off every time the radar detector started going off)



How could I forget TPing houses, church activities, school, and staying on the phone all day in the summer watching Saved By The Bell, Montel Williams, Jenny Jones, Ricky Lake and other shows of that sort.



I know these are very vague, but to anyone who lived these experiences will remember. Well, maybe remember. My two best friends growing up influenced me greatly. I may not have alot of friends like alot of people out there, but the friends I do have are something that I cherish.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I'm so grateful to be your friend and to have you as my friend! You're amazing Katie!!! I love you girl!