Monday, April 6, 2009

Shake it Off

Right now I should be updating the FitnessGRAM results, but I just can't do it. I need a respit from the morning I have had. I figure if I think back on my weekend I will be in a better mood for my high school classes. So here it goes:

Saturday was marvelous! I ran in the Race for the Cure again this year. I love doing this. Besides all the really cool free stuff you get, you get to do something for an amazing cause. As I get to know my students more I am learning that many of my student's family members are survivors of all forms of cancer. I actually ran into one of my sixth graders as I was walking back to the car with the group I was with. I learned that her mom is a breast cancer survivor of ten years and her dad is a prostate cancer survivor of eleven years. That family has been through alot and theye are a terrific family. Their daughter is such a joy and a pleasure to be around. She is also a little mischevious. I still need to get her back for all those water balloons at the school picnic. Any ideas? I think it is so neat that there are thousands upon thousands of people that show for the race. It's a fun time. If you have never done one might I recommend it? It's way fun if you grab a few friends and go.
Saturday afternoon I went to the Alamo Heights job fair. I got the cold shoulder from the high school PE/Health Chair. She did not want to be there. I did have a good conversation with the Athletics Director though. That seems to happen alot with me. I usually have great conversations with the Athletics Directors, but the other coaches never seem enthusiastic about anything. I also talke to the Special Education people. Hopefully I was able to make some sort of good impression on them. The thing I do not like about the fair was that I can't really sell myself. I like to answer questions rather than just start talking about myself. It's really hard for me to do that. I want to know what you want to know about me. Arg to the whole thing.
This weekend was also General Conference. Again, I missed the Saturday sessions, but was able to watch the Sunday sessions. Boy am I grateful to the advancements in technology that I am able to listen to everything again on the internet while I am at work. Today I really need the uplifting of the brethren and sisters of the church. The messages are always so great! As I was talking to my dad he started talking about his favorite seeion of conference, the Priesthood session. He said it eas really good. He said the brethren talked about taking responsibility. he said that all the brethren that spoke sounded like coaches. I can't wait to get my Ensign and read it. He also said that there is no reason someone in the quorums should be without a job because there is always someone in your quorum that can help you. This came along with the need to serve and help each other in the church more. If you know of someone who is out of a job, you more than likely know someone in the ward or you yourself that can help that person find a job. The point is take responsibility and give more service and help to those in the church around you. powerful stuff from powerful men.
I am starting to feel a little better after thinking back on the inspirational weekend I had. I will carry this with me for the rest of the week. Oh, and Easter is this weekend. It is a great week to think about the Savior and what he has done for all mankind.

No comments: