Monday, April 20, 2009

Super Steve = Super Grover

These kids are driving me bonkers! They are absolutely crazy! Spring Fever has hit. I feel bad for them since they are inside all day and can only run around once a week in PE. I try to make the best of it and understand where they are coming from. I am getting better at it, but I still have a lot of work to go. The title of this doesn't make much sense, I know, but if you met Steve you would understand. Steve is running around the caf with a Superman cape and a Grover t-shirt on right now. Hence, Super Steve = Super Grover. Make more sense? Middle school, what do you expect?

Last week was pretty boring. I was trying to write down some notes about last week before writing this blog, but nothing came to mind. But, here I go anyway. Monday was FHE. You know, I love having a job to do at church, but I feel like I need a little change. We were suppose to go to a nursing home as a service project, but that fell through, so we ended up playing ultimate frisbee instead. Ultimate came to be just another running workout for me. I am horrible at throwing a frisbee and my team never throws it to me anyway (probably because I am horrible at throwing a frisbee). I just run up and down and act as a distraction. Sometimes I would get lucky and be able to stop an attack, but mostly I was an unsuccessful distraction. I have found that if I do not know how to play a sport or game I just goof around the whole time and wait for an opportunity to try to learn something about it. It was still fun.
Tuesday, I don't remember anything about Tuesday. I know I did something, but it must not have been that much fun if I don't remember anything.
Wednesday was an exciting day! Not only was it Institute, but it was Tax Day and that meant nationwide Tea Parties. I loved the grassroots movements across the US. San Antonio was a lucky city that day. Glenn Beck did his show from The Alamo that day and the Texas pride and patriotism could be felt through the entire city. I was not able to go, which was disappointing, but I think San Antonio represented. A few of my friends went and had a great time. I had a couple of students pulled out of school to go to the event, I am so jealous. There was controversy about everything, but I won't even go into that. I will not stoop to the levels that many of the protestors of the event stooped down to. It would ruin the moment. Instead of going to the Tea Party I decided play soccer and go to Insitute. I realized that by the time I made it downtown, found parking and walked to the Alamo that The event would be almost over and it wasn't worth the money I would have spent for the entire evening. I made a good choice and I am glad I made the choice I did.
Thursday, what did I do Thursday? I know I did something. Grrrrr, I can't remember. It's hard getting old. The premature Alzheimer's is kicking in now. Oh, Yeah! Cooking class. We learned to make this Turkish pasta dish that was sooooo good. My mouth waters just thinking about it. I love Turkish food and am grateful for the opportunities I have had to learn the recipes. We also learned to make Kadayif (a shredded dough type of baklava). Again, sooooo good, yummilicous.
Friday I went after work and did my laundry. It's actually nice doing laundry on a Friday night. There is usually very few people there and I have my pick at whatever machine I need. Wow, I just re-read that sentence and realized that I am so boring. What has my life come to?
Saturday was a very relaxing day. I was going to run in a 5K that day, but when I awoke #1 it was pouring down rain, #2 I couldn't move out of my bed (I really needed the sleep), #3 I didn't pre-register so I didn't waste any money anyway, so I could sleep longer. I woke up did some cleaning around the apartment then went to Wal-Mart to do a little shopping. Afterwards I went to Linda's for a little for some good convo and catching up on stuff. I went home, watched some TV then went to the YSA mini-conference and listened to this amazing speaker, Bro. Cal Stevens. He gets up to the pulpit with just his scriptures, no notes or teleprompter and begins speaking about the prophet Joseph Smith. The things he was talking about really needed notes, but this man's mind is a steel trap. It was a great experience. He really made the fireside fun and exciting. I really wanted to learn more from this man. I rarely ever feel like that after a fireside (sadly I should not feel that way, but I do).
Sunday was a normal Sunday full of great talks, good friends and talking to family. All in all a pretty good weekend.
This week is a short week at work, but we have this Multicultural Fair on Thursday that I am not really looking forward to unless there is food. Today is also the 10th anniversary of the Columbine shootings. Yesterday was the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. Great tragedies in this country. Although they were such tragedies we learned alot as a country. I think some have forgotten those lessons like they have forgotten about 9/11. That's another topic for another day.

1 comment:

Gladiz said...

Hi Katie! It's Gladiz! I was on D.Navarro's blog and I blog hopped! I know I'm bad. Anyway, I'm so glad I did! Just wanted to say hi, didn't read your post...I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so! Please let me know how you are doing! bambinodimples{at}gmail.com