Sunday, June 14, 2009

Texas Folklife Festival

Yesterday I went to the Texas Folklife Festival. I am so upset though because I forgot my camera, so no pics, darn! I still had fun though. The Texas Folklife Festival basically takes everything that went into creating this great state of Texas and the many different cultures. The food was, of course, amazing and the entertainment was great. I spent a lot of time at the Hawaiian/South Pacific/Asia area. That group has the best entertainment and food, so it was the logical choice for me. I went to that area a couple of years ago when my mom was in town and we spent most of the night there sitting on the grassy hill and watching the dancers. There is a group that I absolutely love. They are from the Lion's Dance Club. It is basically all Chinese traditional dancing and martial arts exhibits. There was this boy that is 8 yrs old and he is already an international gold medalist in martial arts. This kid has been training since he was 4 yrs old and is so awesome! He trains with a ShaoLin Monk from ShaoLin China. He has won 9 international gold medals and 8 international silver gold medals and has travelled all over the world for his competitions. He blew me away with his speed, agility, and overall skill. The Lion Dancers were a lot of fun to watch too. They have the most fun while performing. The costumes are beautiful (this where having a camera would have come in quite handy) and the movements are fun to watch.
I also bought this beautiful wall hanging of the Texas flag. I have been in Texas for like fifteen years now and I don't have anything that is truly Texas so I had to get something. It's a really great hanging that I am thinking of turning into a key hook if I can. I am excited about this little purchase.
Some other things you will find at the festival are live music, dancing, arts, crafts, and Irish, Pakistani, Guamanian, Filipino, Welsh, German, Greek, Indian, and so many other stands. If you have not been go next year. It's a fun filled family event. The best thing about it, even though there are beer and other alcohol stands around the lines are not around the corner for those beverages. The longest lines are the Hawaiian Shaved Ice and sno-cone stands. It's not a cheap event, but it's well worth the $12 entrance fee. There is so much stuff to do that you get your money's worth. The Texas Folklife Festival is an event that gets better as the years go by. If you have not been, get ready for next year. It's a blast!

No comments: