Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Finally, A Little Validation

A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of being able to speak at one of my student's Court of Honor as he received his Eagle Scout. First, I was called an "eloquent speaker" by one of the other speakers then I received some thanks. The last person to speak was the Eagle Scout himself. During his speech he thanked a few people. He thanked me, but I thought he was only thanking me because I spoke that evening. Afterwards the boy's den leader told me that he was really thanking me for his workouts during PE. She said that she heard amny times on hikes they took that as much as he hated the things we did in PE, I was right. He could now see where the things we did in PE were useful in real life. It was such a wonderful experience. I am glad I was the administrator picked to speak at his Court of Honor. I finally have some validation in all my years of teaching and coaching. All it takes is one kid to say a sincere "thank you". Is there anyone that you need to give a little validation to? Don't wait, act now and thank someone for what they helped you achieve.

2 comments:

Gladiz said...

How wonderful! This is one of many man more in your future!

5 Walls and Counting said...

Hey, Happy Late Birthday to you Katie! And I'm sure there are hundreds of other kids who you've made a positive impact on, but you're right it means a whole lot more when they actually acknowledge the impact you've made.
Anyways, Happy Birthday!