Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spring Break in Utah? Not So Springy.

Since Spring Break ended I have been hitting the ground running and have not had a ton of time to give an update on my Spring Break. Leland and I went to Utah for the vacation. We checked the weather from the normally very accurate weather.com (the Weather Channel's website) and it told us it was going to be upper 50's lower 60's and sunshiny all week long. Let's just say, I thought I was going to be able to take gorgeous pictures of the snow-covered mountains with a blue-sky backdrop and I couldn't even see the mountains because they blended in with clouds so much. A couple of times the mountains were completely obscured by the clouds. At one point, we were snowed on. Can you believe it's Spring Break and there is snow?! Seriously, snow?! Really?! Utah, you are not wining my heart at this time, if you ever want me to even think about moving there, you have to make some serious changes. While the weather may not have been all that desirable, the rest of the trip was pretty good. We left SA Tuesday evening. I was flying Southwest and Leland was flying American, long story so I won't bore you with all the details. All my flights are on time and things are going pretty smoothly, until I get to my layover in Vegas. I get off the plane and we are delayed 20 minutes. not a bad delay and the time could be made up in the air. About the time we should be boarding for our flight, there is an announcement that the flight is being delayed another 40 minutes. Grrrrrrr! We finally board about 45 minutes after we were suppose to take off originally. Leland had planned our trip perfectly so that we would land within five minutes of each other and there would not be any major wait time for his sisters who were picking us up. As usual, we make a plan and it doesn't happen. I got into SLC about an hour after I was suppose to feeling so air sick and gross that I couldn't hold my head up, not a pretty sight.

The times we were in Orem and SLC area were pretty good though. I was able to do a Zumba class for the first time. I will never do Zumba again, my non-rythmness doesn't work for a dance class. Sorry Zumba, but you are not my favorite class at the gym. I also was reminded of what good grocery competition can do. If only TX had the same grocery competition that UT has. The prices are so low it's unbelievable. The only thing we didn't like and laughed about were the descriptions of the large avocados. Leland and I are looking at the grocery adds and we see that large avocados are $.99 each. We are elated because the large avocados in TX are a $1.50 each. We go to the store where we saw the add and are looking all over the place for the large avocados. We can't find them anywhere! We keep seeing the small avocados and we start thinking that what we consider small may actually be large. We go back to the small avocados and sure enough, they were considered "large". We just had to laugh, these "large" avocados were so small that it would take 3 of those to even come close to being as large as one large avocado here in TX. It really is true what they say, "everything is bigger in TX".

We were also able to celebrate my birthday while I was there. It wasn't technically my birthday, but a little early celebration is never all that bad, right? We went to Grandma and Grandpa Moon's and had so much fun with family. We also celebrated a couple of other family member birthdays. I really like having a whole family around for birthdays. That would be something really cool to do if we live close enough to our families in the future. It was also really fun to watch little William. William is Leland's cousin and is about 3 yrs old. He is such an outgoing child. He will talk to anyone and will say the best things. At one point in the night he was going to pick up his drink and picked up an empty cup instead. He looks in the cup, realizes it's empty and says, "Aw Man!" Cutest "aw, man" I have ever heard! I had a lot of fun with the family. It was a great break from the stresses of everyday life. It is always weird for me when I go on vacation and don't do anything because I am so use to always doing something and having to worry about something that I don't know what to do with myself when I have no responsibilities. I also had my very first In-and-Out burger experience. Can we say delicious and cheap? Loved it, big fan! That's really about it for my Spring Break. In summary, weather was not spring break worthy, snow, family, birthday, total relaxation.

I have bored you to tears enough in this post so I will say good-bye and sign off. Oh, but before I do, Happy Birthday to one of the greatest people I know, Erin Wall, have a fantastic day!

No comments: