Monday, April 4, 2011

It's April

and that means General Conference! This month it was fabulous! Again, it was the rejuvenation I have been needing. All the talks were so inspiring and amazing. My father-in-law was in town and there was a was wondering what we were going to do for dinner. Since we had been laying around all day not doing much and ate a really big lunch at 3pm, dinner was not on the schedule. My FIL asked Leland if we were going to go out for dinner. Leland told me later that he would have normally said "yes we can go out" but since hearing the talk on keeping the sabbath holy he had to say no. I was so proud of him. The only time we have gone out to eat on Sunday is when we were visiting my family in Florida and they took us to Tarpon Springs because that was the only day we were going to be there and when my Grandma and Grandpa come to town (which is only like once every five to ten years). There were a lot of talks on the church's welfare system. I thought the leaders of the church really know what is ahead for this country and were basically telling everyone to be prepared and know that the church can help; until, President Eyring mentioned that is the 75 anniversary of the church welfare system. Even so, I think it is both reasons. My favorite talk of the weekend had to be Elder Quentin L Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Saturday morning. His talk was about the women of the church and their strength and good works and charity. It was exactly what I needed. Many of the faults he listed, which are not bad things, are some of the things I struggle with on a daily basis. For example, knowing that what I did was enough. Elder Cook said at one time that women will do so much yet feel that what they did was not enough. I have been feeling that way quite a bit lately especially with my calling in the young women. I feel as though I don't do anything compared to the rest of the leaders. Even the mom with four kids ages 3-12 does more than what I do for the young women. I also know my situation and what I am able to do with the situation I am in. But, hearing the words of Elder Cook really made those feelings wash away, at least for the time being. I am grateful for his words. There were a couple of other talks that I truly enjoyed that I hope more people were listening to, but since I can't remember them off the top of my head, I will have to wrote about them in another month or so when the conference issue of the Ensign comes out. I am short on time today because I have to go let the kiddos into the building. I will hopefully be able to write more about all the events of my life in a little later. Have a great day!

No comments: