Saturday, April 9, 2011

Never Been Happier. . .

that it is the weekend. This week seemed to drag on for-e-ver! I think it mostly had to deal with the longest Friday of my life. In one day at work we had class pictures, two presentations from St. Mary's Pre-Engineering program, and a PTO fundraiser. Class pictures went pretty smoothly. The right person got it all organized and there were so many great people that volunteered their off periods to help without being asked. It was wonderful! The only issue, since it was class pictures, was the free dress day. How hard is it to listen to the major things of what not to wear? Seriously, I must have said it 15 times in each homeroom the day before, announced it at lunch for all students a week ago, sent it home in the Wednesday Folder and it is in the handbook that skinny jeans are not allowed at any point during the school day or as part of the school uniform. The most irritating part, parents told their kids to wear the skinny jeans and sent a note with the student addressed to me that they are allowed to wear the skinny jeans because they do not have any other kinds of pants to wear. They obviously can wear their uniform pants, they do not have to wear jeans on a free dress day. Really?! What kind of parent buys their kid or allows their kid to wear only skinny jeans? Then, what kind of parent writes a note thinking that it will excuse their kid from having to face the consequences of them not wearing the appropriate clothing? Grrrrrr! I think there was one class that followed the rule to perfection. I was so proud of those kiddos :) In the future I will only allow those kids free dress. The presentations were scheduled during the homeroom times, so 30 minute presentations. I don't know why, but the presentations lasted 45 minutes cutting into the 8th graders lunch by ten minutes and then for the high schoolers that attended it cut into 20 minutes of their class time. All it takes is a little organizations and some guts to cut off the speaker in order to do what is right for the kids. Finally, the PTO fundraiser. I had community service volunteers that I had to keep track of and I was the only administrator there to oversee things. Thankfully, the PTO was on point. They did a great job. The main event of the fundraiser was the faculty vs. students basketball game. Sadly, the students won, but it took them six years to finally beat us. We only had about six people that were anywhere close to athletic on our team and the students had the entire boys basketball team and part of the girls basketball team playing the entire time. On top of that, we didn't have real refs so the student team was fouling all over the place and nothing was called. On a good note though, I haven't seen those kids work hard ever. It was nice to see what they are truly capable of doing. Hopefully, they continue to work at that rate into their adult years. Saturday was not so bad. It was actually a great break for the world. Leland and I were able to go to Chris Madrid's for the best hamburgers ever for dinner and then to the Spurs game. It was a pretty good game; although, I did get a little bored and had to look away. There is this thing that if I watch a game the Spurs always lose, no fail. During the time I was looking away the Spurs gained a huge lead. The Spurs won and all was right with the world for that moment. The Spurs were having their "fan appreciation night" and "Mormon night". It was an evening of free stuff and a little inspiration. A group of missionaries from the SA area sang the National Anthem and another group presented Sean Elliot (former Spurs player) with his family history of up to 5 generations. It was a sweet little showcase of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The whole evening was something that I have been needing for a while now. Now, I can look forward to a four day work week. It is awesome when you get a random day off of work for something like Battle of Flowers. To this day I have no idea what Battle of Flowers is really all about, but I am happy I get a three day weekend out of it =0)

No comments: