Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rude Awakening

People need to pay a little more attention to what is going on when they are driving. I fell asleep on my couch on Friday night with the patio door open for the cool air to fill my apartment. At 12:30am I heard something like a truck and trailer going over the speed bump just in front of my building. It was so loud I woke up and wondered what was going on. I thought it was just a truck and a trailer going over the bump a little too fast until I started thinking about the sound. It sounded as though two cars were crunching together. I started thinking that some drunk driver had smashed into cars that were parked and that my car may have been one of the ones hit. My heart was about pounding out of my chest when I stood and walked onto my patio. I saw that all the cars in front of my building were okay, then I saw it. A car was upside down on top of the fence that separates my complex from the complex next door. There was some sort of liquid shooting out from the bottom of the vehicle. Thankfully, it wasn't gasoline or oil. I never saw anyone get out of the car but there were three people after the car was flipped upright and moved that were carrying contents from the vehicle back to one of the apartments. Thankfully no one was injured and it was a miracle too. The tow truck arrived flipped the car back up and the whole passenger side was obliterated. It was a scary scene.
Some people were either drunk or totally insensitive as they checked out the scene. A group came walking from somewhere around the corner and went for a closer look. On their way back I heard a couple of them say that was the most awesome thing they had ever seen and were glad they went to check it out. Another group from the apartments next to mine were laughing and climbing the fence before the car had been flipped back to normal. It was a little irritating that people would see something like that and say it was the most awesome thing they had ever seen and laugh about it. I was watching the whole time hoping that everyone was okay and no one was trapped inside. I hope to never be in a situation like that or see one like that again.
On Thursday right in front of the school I work at there was a huge accident on the highway that I was a witness to. All these car accidents make me worry about drivers on the road and how often drivers tend to think they are the only ones out there or they are so wrapped up in themselves, their phones, or in a rush that they don't think when behind the wheel of a two ton hunk of metal and glass. I will definitely be more careful behind the wheel before I become a victim of the driving world. What a wake-up call!

1 comment:

Rebex said...

How on earth did they manage to flip the car in a parking lot? That's crazy.