Saturday, May 23, 2009

Still Keepin Busy

Rest is definitely needed right now. I feel like I have been running on all cylinders for the past month and a half but have gotten nowhere. Stress is still building. A little was relieved but new ones have come to take their place. I received an e-mail from my great-uncle Del on Friday saying that he was doing well and that he didn't have a heart attack but that his heart just needed a jump start. Leave it to him to try to ease everyone else's burdens by making things not sound as bad. I hope he takes better care of himself and is around for many more years.
We had the grand opening of the gym this week along with a fundraiser. The whole ceremony was a joke and highly boring. The kiddos were bored out of their minds and the adults were just as interested. If I weren't standing I probably would have fallen asleep. In fact, at some point I think I did fall asleep. All I know is there was someone speaking and then there was someone else speaking all of a sudden. Then there was the fundraiser. There weren't a lot of people there so we didn't make a lot of money. It was also a Thursday night, at the end of the month and only about four weeks since the last fundraiser. Money is a little tight about that time of the month. One of the teachers did a "Kiss the Donkey" contest. Different teachers volunteered to be a part of the contest. Kids put money, well tickets, into the container with the teacher that they wanted to see kiss the donkey. Yes, a real donkey named Stinky. Thankfully there were a couple of kids that have it out for this one biology teacher because they are failing her class and wanted to see her kiss the donkey and placed about $40 in her container. Those boys made sure she kissed the donkey. I didn't have any in my container. I thought there would be tons of tickets in my container considering all the dirty looks and rollings eyes and the fact I am kind of a hard nose when it comes to discipline in my class and in the halls. I guess there are other enemies of the students out there. I still had fun watching teachers and students go into the dunk tank, kissing a donkey and recruiting people to play different games. There was also a parent there that was reading fortunes. This lady cracks me up because she is so out there. She has two kids in the school, one is somewhat normal and the other is almost off the deep end. They are such different people you would not know they were a part of the same family. She calls me over and asks me to pick three stones from the bag. I had no clue what she was about to do. I pick the three stones and two had some weird symbol and the other was blank. She reviews her material then gives me a five minute reading about my life. Basically, it went like this: "You are not centered right now. You have a lot going on in your life. You have many things that are stressing and you are not able to focus on getting your life balanced. You are giver and care more about other people than yourself. You have a hard time saying no to people and it is catching up to you. Although you have cut back you still are not centered and balanced. You still give too much and care to much about others and that is holding you back in your life right now." Is she right? I don't know. I actually think I have become more selfish over the past few years. I spend so much time at home when I could be out doing more social activities and service for others. I feel like such a hermit sometimes. Shouldn't our lives be focused on helping others and making their lives better? When we serve others we are easing their burdens and making their lives a little easier. In the process we are receiving the blessings that our Father in heaven wants to bestow upon us. Is this crazy right in her "reading" of my fortune? How out of balance is my life?
Friday night I had a great time at the mini-enrichment. I was able to teach baklava and lachmacun (la-ma-jun). The food was incredible (to me anyway) and the conversations and sisterhood were even better. Even though I left the main ingredient for the baklava at home and had run back to get it, it turned out to be a good evening. Thankfully, I now have tons of leftovers so I won't go hungry this week. =0)
Only eight more school days four of which are half days, so technically there are only six full days left. I am looking forward to the summer right now. Taking a couple of extra classes, moving to a new apartment and getting my life "back in balance". Those are my new goals for the summer. Let's see how it all works out.

1 comment:

Jalula said...

Balance, maybe you do need a little more, but I agree with you about service. I don't think anyone who wore their lives out in service was unhappy because of it! You will figure things out, you're pretty sharp, and you have some help:)