Monday, May 4, 2009

Swine Flu

Swine flu-whatever! I am so over this whole swine flu thing. Schools around here are closing like crazy because they are afraid of the flu. After talking to many health care professionals my ideas are not far fetched about this thing. The swine flu is just a regular old flu. You know, the same flu you get if you don't get your flu shot and come in contact with someone who is still contagious. The only difference with this flu is that is last a little longer. That's it, it last a little longer? Is the media making too big of a deal about this? I think so, unless the White House knows something that they aren't sharing with the public then we are making too big of a deal about it. If someone sneezes because he/she has dust in his/her nose then everyone around that person looks at him/her like they have the swine flu. To date, in the US anyway, there has only been one death due to the swine flu and it was a kid from Mexico who came to the US to get treatment albeit a little too late. Why are there so many deaths from this thing in Mexico? Lack of proper medical care. If there was better medical care then there would not have been the deaths associated by it. By the way, like the regular flu, those that are more susceptible to dying from this thing are the very young, very old, and those in overall bad health. Again, just like the regular flu. School districts have been closing down like crazy. Some have waited to get through the TAKS testing while other closed the week of TAKS testing. Everyone is being told to be careful, don't go to alot of social gathering or gathering spots. I say, take care of yourself, wash your hands, have good hygiene and if you feel sick, stay home, don't try to be the hero and go to work ill. Am I worried about this thing? Only that it might close the school and we would have to make those days up and I have a class two weeks after school gets out that will be wasting $400 if I have to work at that time. Other than that, I am not worried. I just have to take care of myself and not let these little disease carriers touch me or do anything else around me. How do you think a no breathing policy would work in my class, hmmmmmm? Whether it's a real threat or not I am not going to let this thing change my lifestyle. Unless the entire city is on mandatory lock down, I am not to worried. If the city did go into mandatory lock down I would have such a blast playing on my Wii =0) This whole swine flu thing has been all the talk and attention this week. Not much else went on except the TAKS testing which is a waste of time. Oops did I just say that? Yep, sure did and I'll say it again. TAKS is a waste of time. A test that determines whether or not your school is a good school and has good teachers based on if the kids show up and take the test seriously or if they show up and decide to just fill in bubbles. What a great way to see if your teachers are any good. Did you happen to think it's not the teacher but the kid that just doesn't get it and maybe needs to stay an extra year in that grade, or can't comprehend English, or just doesn't care enough about school to want to try on a test, or, you catch my drift right? The test is a big waste of time. The real test is what these kids do when they get out of school. What are they doing in life? How do they treat others around them? Are they successful in their eyes? So they have a determination and drive to do more and be better? That's the true test. I don't remember anything I learned in middle school and I barely know what I learned in high school, but I sure do make what knowledge I do have work. The bell is getting ready to ring, Peace out!

2 comments:

5 Walls and Counting said...

Amen Sister! Swine Flu Smine Flu!

Yangster said...

I admit that people are taking this swine flu thing a way over board but I say anytime I get a day off, i'm all for it. No offense to those afflicted of course. ;)