Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 - I Will Never Forget, Will You?

Today is the 9th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that took out the World Trade Towers. I remember that day so clearly. I woke up about five minutes before my dad left for work and walked into the living room. I saw a building on fire and asked my dad what movie he was watching. He said he was watching the news. I didn't believe him until I heard the newscasters and started to really watch everything. It was unbelievable! I left for school at my normal time went to my first class where some people were talking about it. After class I went to the student union at UTEP and met a friend for breakfast before going to my next class. AS we sat and watched the TV at the union the crowed started to grow. A little after 9am we watched as the first tower started to fall. By this time the second plane had hit the second tower. Then before going to class the second tower fell and there was nothing but a dust cloud. Later that day more and more footage and pictures started coming out on the news stations. There were pictures of papers falling from the sky, people jumping and falling from the buildings, firemen in all their gear, people crying, battered, torn, families watching from apartments, looks of confusion, shock, horror. Then there came the unity. I have never felt such a sense of American pride an unity across the entire country. From the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Border the entire country heard the words of George W. Bush, "Let's Roll" and everyone was ready to fight, ready to take it to the people responsible for this sucker punch from behind. Today we are still fighting the terrorist and many people do not agree with what is going on. Do they not remember what was done on our soil? What happened just nine years ago? How quickly we forget, but me I will never forget. As I sit watching the History Channel (I must be getting old when I can see myself in history) and seeing the pictures and video from that day I am taken back to what I was doing that morning. I still cannot believe what happened that morning and it is still weird looking at pictures of the New York skyline without the Twin Towers there. It's still heart-wrenching. I will never forget the men, women and children effected by the events of that day. I will never forget the brave soldiers that are still fighting for our protection and putting their lives at stake so I can live as I do. Thank you to all who protect this great nation. You are blessed and loved by so many. I have the deepest respect for you. Thank you. Do you remember what you were doing that day?

No comments: