Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Just Want to Scream!

Remember when you listened to your teachers because they weren't your parents so you would listen to them? Remember when you were told to do something you stopped whatever you were doing and did what you were told to do? Remember when someone who was considered an authority figure told you you were doing something wrong and you stopped doing it without arguing over every single point that was being made? Remember when kids actually had respect for their teachers? Remember when all you had to hear was that you were going to be sent to the principal's office or your parents would be called and you straightened up right away? I know not everyone was like that, but I know I was. I feel like I need to vent right now. Parents aren't teaching their kids the proper ways to treat people or themselves. The other day a kid wanted to argue with me because he wasn't wearing the right color jacket and I told him to take it off and put it in his locker. Everything was an argument. Where is the room for the argument when I am quoting the school handbook about what the proper jacket color should be? How do you get around something that is printed in black and white and has already been approved by a lawyer (and you know lawyers love to argue every point)? The kid still tried to argue with me. Today a kid was told by a teacher to put his jacket in his locker because it was not school approved attire and he said, "Hold on, hold on, I have to take this to the front office first." The disrespectful little snot then tries to go into his classroom after going to the front office without putting his jacket in the locker. My classes are terrible. I feel like giving up on them everyday. I am tired of fighting the same fight every single day. You call parents, and still nothing happens. You talk to the kid, you send them to the office and still nothing happens. What is going on with society today? I'll tell you what is going on. Kids are seen as something that is fun to have but no one wants to teach and really take care of them. Parents are scared that their kids are going to shoot them in the middle of the night if they don't give them what they want. Parents are not disciplining their kids. You send a kid to their room these days and they have more fun than if you made them spend time with the family. Kids rooms are stocked with TV's, DVD players, iPods, game consoles, etc. Sending a kid to their room is not punishment, it's a vacation! When you try to discipline a kid as school mommy and daddy come and try to talk you out of the discipline. If you don't give in then they go to the admin and the admin rides your six about it or they go ahead and drop the consequence you gave. Whatever happened to the days when the parent took sides with the teacher? My parents were always on the side of the teacher. Right or wrong, my parents supported the teacher. So amny parents today think their kid is absolutely perfect and that they are little angels. Come and watch your kid in secret for the day and you will see what they are really like. I am so tired of fighting. I am so tired of not having control over a situation. I am so tired of the attitudes that are tossed around. This is really a thankless job. Kids don't respect you because you are a teacher and are therefore beneath them. Parents think they are better than you because they make more money than you or they make less than you and thin their kids aren't going to amount to anything anyway so why try to support anything. I don't know, I feel as if I have choosen the wrong profession today. I feel like quitting right now. I want to walk into the principal's office and tell him that I quit. If I had the funds available and knew I could survive the next year without needing income then I would do that, but seeing that I need the money for my survival I can't really do that. You know what makes things worse? I owe the IRS. I don't get paid enough already and I owe the IRS. What kind of bullspit is this? I feel like right now I am being punished for my choice to try to contribute to society. Maybe if I were more selfish and only thought about how I was going to make things better for me only then maybe I would be rewarded for something. I know about the rewards in heaven and all that jazz, but here on earth, in this blink-of-an-eye existence I need something worldly to get by. You can't live on treasures in heaven alone. I just want to scream right now, but I can't since I am in my office and there are other people around. I probably just made myself even more frustrated by writing about all of this, but UGH! Hopefully my week will get better. Something has to go right this week. Thankfully there is always Institute on Wednesdays.

1 comment:

Rebex said...

Aw, your post made me so sad. Hang in there, Katie! I'm so grateful there are teachers like you out there; I just hope there are still some good ones left once I have kids. It kind of worries me. I hope things start to look up soon.