Sunday, February 15, 2009

S.A.D.? Sounds Pretty Sad to Me

Happy belated Valentine's day! Okay, so here's the thing I don't like. Yesterday was Valentine's Day. Many of the people I know have been calling it Single Awareness Day (S.A.D.). Normally I would agree with those people, but something has happened this year. I did not see Valentines as SAD. I started thinking about the whole concept. This is what I think... I think that when you call Valentines S.A.D. then you are really acting bitter or you are depressed that you are not dating anyone or married or have that "special someone" by your side. The old me, the me from last year, got caught up in the whole SAD thing. It's horrible to feel like that, bitter, depressed, mad that you don't have anyone by your side. This year I guess I have finally come to realize that Valentines is not just about having another person by your side that you call your boy/girlfriend, husband/wife. Valentines is about showing appreciation for the people that are your friends and loved ones. I was doing a lot of housework and other stuff so my day was really busy, but even at night when I went to the Quarry to do a little walking around and some shopping (got some really cute things too) and seeing all the couples going to dinner, the movies, or just out for coffee, I didn't think about how single I was. I was genuinely happy for those people. In the past a scene like that would have made me think of how single and lonely I was. Now, I am happy and secure in my singleness. I am comfortable with who I am at this time in my life. I am so appreciative of the people in my life that make me smile, laugh, cry, and comfort me when I need it. Valentines isn't a "Singel Awareness Day", it's a day to show your appreciation for others. It's really just another day. Another day to try to serve. Another day to love more deeply those that are already in your life. Another day to live life to the fullest. Wallowing in self-pity isn't going to do anything for you but make you feel worse. Don't worry about the relationship you are not in; worry about the ones you already have all around you. Have I really grown-up this much in the past year? I think I have and it's a good feeling to realize that you have grown up a little. Man, this life really is a wonderful life isn't it?

No comments: