Sunday, February 1, 2009

Power of the Priesthood

Today at church it was testimony meeting day. This week it was a great meeting! There really wasn't anyone that told pointless stories or rambled on and on about stuff I really didn't care about. I admit it, I can't stand it when people get up and ramble on and on so I space out during people's "testimonies". One thing I really liked was Bro. Barton's testimony about the power of the priesthood and preisthood blessings.
I am so grateful for the priesthood in my life. I don't hold the priesthood, but I have friends and family that do and I have been tremendously blessed by them, especially these past couple of weeks. I love that the priesthood is on the earth today and that there are men out there that truly appreciate being able to have the priesthood. If it were not for the power of the priesthood I do not think I would be able to heal as quickly as I have from my surgery and later infection nor do I think I would be able to live on my own. As soon as I found out that I had appendicitis and needed to have surgery I called one of my friends that I knew would be able to help me. He quickly went to work trying to find another person to help give the blessing that I needed. If he had not honored his priesthood and been living a righteous lifestyle he would not have been able to help me. I am so grateful for the life he lives and the power that he has to serve. The second time in the hospital I had a friend's dad come give me a blessing. I never thought I would be the person in the hospital bed that needed a blessing. I always heard stories about those in the hospital who had blessings and I was always grateful I wasn't one of them. I am grateful I was able to recieve the blessing, it has helped me in my recovery thus far.
The coolest story I have ever heard about the power of priesthood blessings has to one my dad gave before I was born. My dad and one of the guys in his ward, Greg Lake, were asked to give a blessing to an elderly woman that was in the hospital and brain dead. That family was certain and had enough faith that if she had a blessing then she would be perfectly fine. So Dad and Greg go to give her a blessing and all sorts of doctors are in the room doing a bunch of stuff. Dad asks if they can give the blessings and the doctors, skeptical it would work, said they could do it. Once they finished the blessing the woman awoke. Doctors swarmed the woman and were in awe that she went from being completely brain dead to alert and functioning. Dad and Greg walked out of the room and that was that. I don't know whatever happened to the woman after that, but it goes to show when you have faith and worthy preisthood holders to give a blessing then great and marvelous things can happen.
I am so grateful the priesthood is on the earth today and that it will continue to be on the earth. I am grateful for worthy preisthood holders that have respect for the power they have been given. I am grateful for those in my life that have given me blessings and the great and marvelous things that have happened to me because of their willingness to take this great responsibility and serve others.

No comments: