Thursday, March 4, 2010

Texas Towns

This past weekend I had an opportunity to go to Uvalde and help out a friend. My friend and her husband just bought a house there and she has been doing some major renovations. All the work was suppose to be done by Friday so that Saturday we could clean things, get rooms set-up and boxes unpacked. It turned out to be a big play day since the contractors never finished what they started. Actually, the first contractor was lazy and never did the work and over charged for what was done and the others, well, they were slow movers. So the day turned into running errands and doing little things like lining shelves and unpacking the pantry. It was a great day and to be able to help my friend and spending time with her was the best.

What I love about Uvalde is it's town square. I love little Texas towns because of the town squares. They are so great and so much fun to shop in. They have the best antique shops and some of the cutest merchandise around. The buildings are beautiful too. Every building has a story and some famous, or even infamous, person went through there or grew up there. It is nice to be able to go to Texas towns like that. It's nice to get out of the city and be able to get away from all the stresses. The only thing I didn't like was the drive out there. The bad thing about Texas towns is that you have to slow down for them. You are making great time and the drive seems so easy then all of a sudden you are slowing down to 45 or 35 mph. While the towns are cute and cozy and great they do take a little time to get through. And they are speed traps! Small Texas towns are the biggest speed traps. If you aren't paying attention you will get the biggest ticket of your life. That is why you always, and I mean ALWAYS, slow down to the speed limit or a little under when going through those towns.

Overall, I love Texas towns. The only other place that can compete with a Texas town is small town East Coast. But no one can compete with the friendliness of Texans =0)

1 comment:

Gladiz said...

So much fun doing stuff for the house! Glad you were able to help your friend! I so know what you mean about Texas towns! I'm a Texas Gal all the way but Arizona has been nice to us. Well, except when we lived in Tucson, I-10 runs through the city and not within. So the speed limit everywhere is 35 or 45 mph. That was one of my determining factors when Mike asked for my opinion on where he would take his job. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a speed racer or anything!