Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Character

What ever happened to trying to build character and teach about responsibility and consequences? Last night at my kiddos soccer game I only played eight players at the beginning of the game because of kids who had missed practice or had some behavioral issues during the school day that day. We were down 2-0 and a parent comes up to me during the game (and btw what makes parents think they can interrupt a coach during a game?) telling me that I was three players short on the field. I told him I knew we were and there was a reason and went on to explain that we had some behavior issues at school and kids who missed practice so they were not starting the game. My kiddos are reminded everyday that if I catch them or my assistant coach catches them doing anything that they know they should not be doing they will suffer the consequences which include but are not limited to sitting out of a game until I decide they can go in. Another rule is that you show up to practices in order to play. You can't play until you know what is going on. So, I explain this to the parent and told him it was explained to the kids and they understood and accepted it. He then tries to say that I am teaching them to lose if that is what I am doing. "Shouldn't you want them to win?" Of course I want my kiddos to win, but in a first year program in which over 3/4 of the team had never touched a soccer ball in their lives until they were at try-outs in March the goal is not to win but to focus on the improvement of the players and give them the opportunity to improve. I also explained that the student-athletes are the examples in the school and if they go without consequences then the rest of the team and the rest of the students in the school would think it's okay for them to do the same things. This parent just didn't get it. The parent in this situation also allowed his son to miss four weeks of the season without a reason and thought his kid would automatically start. I really don't care about the amount of "W"'s we have. I care about the personal growth and development of my athletes. A lot of my kids come from poverty and don't get the support or character building opportunities that being in a sport can offer. Kids today also think that they can do whatever they want and there are no consequences for their actions since their parents are more into being a friend than being a parent or they just aren't around and leave the kids to their own defenses. I feel it is my responsibility to teach these kids more than just win, win, win. I can guarantee those players that did not play because of behavior reasons will give a second thought to their actions, or just wait until they think I am not looking ;) Seriously, parents or future parents that read this, please teach your kids about taking responsibility and accepting whatever consequences come, and support your kiddos teachers/coaches/mentors (if they are teaching correct principles). It's a hard battle that is fought everyday within the walls of a school and the playing field. A little character goes a long way.

In other life events school is finally winding down, but getting busier. The past two weeks have been full of soccer games and practices, middle school dance, play-offs, international and multicultural fair, fundraiser, sixth grade field trip, and an end-of-the-year soccer party. I have also had to try to get my teaching folder finished. I don't understand why I need to do a teaching folder every year. I don't teach a different subject every year like some of the other teachers. Why can't I just add a supplemental portion with the changes from year to year? I think all the folders should be on a departmental level and just add to it every year. Why does every teacher need to make a new one every year? If you ask the admin about it they never give an answer. While on that note, why is it that admins never give you a straight answer but expect you to give them a detailed answer when they ask you a question? Even better, we are evaluated on our promptness and timeliness of answering admin e-mails. I will have points deducted from my evaluation if I do not answer an e-mail right away (then get a memo about answering e-mails during class time) but the admin can wait two weeks after an answer is needed to reply and not get anything deducted from their evaluations because they don't get evaluated. The admin does not take feedback from the teachers or parents and if either group does suggest something that could better the school or make things easier, then they either fall on deaf ears or get the eye-roll, or the suggestion is taken in but since it wasn't their idea they won't bother with it until it is their idea. And where is the credit when credit is due? On the admin. Grrrrrr! Can you tell I am a little passionate about this right now? I know I will be grilled about what I added to the school environment and then told I didn't do enough or I didn't have any new ideas. If I hear that I think I might have a nervous breakdown right there in the meeting. Ahhhhh! Sorry, tangent. But I guess this does have to deal with character. The true colors come flying through the air when we are in tense situations. In a couple of weeks we shall see what my true character is. Will I come through with vibrant full colors or will I dull and blend in with the back ground, hmmmmm?

1 comment:

5 Walls and Counting said...

Props go out for benching the kids. P.S. Let me know when you are coming to Utah and where you'll be, I'd like to meet up with you if possible for a few hours. My phone number is 435-705-4894 and yes you need a passport to come to Utah. . . it's like a whole other country!!!!