Monday, April 7, 2008

Final Two

Tonight it is down to the Kansas Jayhawks and Memphis Tigers as the final two teams for the NCAA men's basketball championship. As much as I like college sports I just cant get into this final. I usually love the excitement surrounding the final four. The saddest part is that the final four is in San Antonio this year. I didn't even know it was happening until my mom asked me if I had any tickets for any of the games. How sad is that? I didn't even know the biggest college basketball event was being held in my backyard. I am a disgrace to the college sports scene, I know. Oh, well, that's life and sometimes we are just oblivious to it. I don't know who is going to win this game, but if I go with my gut I say Kansas. Since my gut is usually wrong I am going to say Memphis. This could be the one night that my gut is right, but on the other hand it could be wrong. Anyway, it doesn't matter who wins tonight. I really don't care much about either team anyway.
Tomorrow is the eighth grade TAKS Math test. I HATE the Texas state testing. It's ridiculous. First, the tests are done with eight to six weeks left of the school year. Since there is so much importance placed on these tests the kids think they do not have to do anymore class work once the TAKS is done. You try to get kids to care about what they do in class when they have so much riding on one test. Since the test covers an entire grade's work in one year the teacher's have to cram subject matter into the kid's heads before the test. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the test closer to the last couple of weeks of school instead of with six weeks left? If you really want to see how well kids do on a test then give them time to learn the material, DUH! The Texas legislature is full of rich kids who probably sent all of their kids to private schools and went to private schools themselves and have no clue what it is really like in the public schools. Who votes all these yahoos into the leg. anyway? Other privileged that are just like them. Don't try to tell the state they are wrong, they will just throw money to research the reasons they are right. It's a waste. I should really try to take over the whole Texas education system. My ideas will work. I have so many thoughts. I can't wait until I can start making a difference in the lives of others. I may not be the smartest person in the world but I can bring about change. Have you ever noticed that some of the smartest people book-smart wise have no street smarts or common sense? I feel for those people that are lost in their own little world. They need to get a life. Before I go off on a soapbox I better sign off. That's it for me, Katie G.

No comments: